Two Lost Souls (Short Story)

Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Miranda. She was very fond of books. Wherever she saw a book, she would take it and start reading. She was just 18 and owned a magical library of 20,000 books which she had read all her life. She was a magical reader. Her family and friends always gifted her books on special occasions.

One day, Miranda was walking back home from her school. On the way, there is a small lake where she sometimes sits and read a few pages of any book that she carries in her bag. That day she found an abandoned book on the lake shore. Miranda’s friend Joan was very skeptical about picking up that book. But Miranda ignored her words and picked the book.

After finishing her dinner, Miranda sat down to explore that book. It was a love story of a girl named Ann and a boy named Myth. Ann and Myth were an adventurous couple. Miranda found the book very gripping.

“Miranda, come here”. Called her mother from the kitchen. Miranda left the book open and went to her mother to see why she is calling.

That’s when it happened.

“Shhh… Ann please keep quiet. We are not going anywhere.”

“Myth, just imagine the world outside. It would be beautiful. Please let’s get outside before Miranda comes back.”

Myth was ready to do anything for Ann but, this time her demand was little more than the usual. They were meant to live inside the book. Jumping out could be dangerous for them. But Ann was in no mood to compromise with her wishes. Hence, Myth called Book Fairy for help.

Book fairy appeared. “Dear Ann, once you come out of a book, you cannot enter inside unless and until you find the same page and spot from where you jumped out. Also, you cannot physically enjoy the outer world. You couldn’t touch or experience anything you see in the human world nor could humans see you. I hope you will not knowingly commit any blunder.”

Ann ignored Book Fairy’s words. All she wanted was to get out of the book. Myth was upset by now. He didn’t want to leave her alone in danger. He tried to convince her one last time but in vain. At last, Myth decided to accompany Ann and face the consequence whatever may come.

Ann held Myth’s hand and succeeded to jump out of the book. Book Fairy sighed and disappeared!!

Meanwhile, Miranda was back in her room. She had no idea what happened in the room during her absence. She looked at the clock. It was already 10 pm and time for her to sleep. She closed the book, kept it in her bookshelf and went to sleep.

Ann and Myth wandered all the way around. Ann started to realize her mistake and now wanted to get inside the book. At least they had an identity when they were inside the book. Outside, they were nothing less than two lost souls. They were shocked not to see the book anywhere on the table and completely in grief now. They waited for days and months to see if Miranda opens the same page from where they jumped out of the book. But unfortunately, she never opened that book again.

There onwards whenever Miranda opened any book, Ann and Myth tried to enter in, thinking it was their home. Years passed, generations passed, many Miranda’s came and went by. But Ann and Myth were still lost in the unknown.

Have you ever noticed, whenever you keep your books open and unattended, pages turn by themselves? It is not the wind. It is Ann and Myth peeping into the pages to find if it is their story. They still roam around every reader in good hope to find their lost home.

This post is a part of the Valentine’s Day blog train hosted by www.prernawahi.com & www.vartikasdiary.com, sponsored by ShilpSa, Kalpavriksha farms & Neha from @bloggingmadeeasier

Sharing is caring ☺️

Comments

1. Saleem Ponnambath says:

Oh..What a story crafted from your imagination..Very brilliantly narrated a fictional theme. Your introductory message should prompt readers to go more for short stories. Grt

1. Maya Bhat says:

Thanks a lot for reading 😊.

2. […] conclude with, let me take you to one of my latest short stories Two Lost Souls. Also when the A2Z challenge reaches the letter F, I will be coming up with Five Short Story […]

3. Amazing story and unique thinking. Good work Maya 😊

4. Amazing. Mind-blowing!!😯😦

5. such a different take on this topic. not only refreshing but also unique. well written. #vday #blogtrain

6. What a beautiful piece Maya. Loved it

7. What a beautiful story, Maya. So much wisdom in there. Every time I look at an open book I am going to think of you, and this story. Loved it!

8. Anagha Yatin says:

Riveting plot, Maya! Kudos.

9. Anonymous says:

unusual and interesting and truly books are great healers

10. Misha says:

beautifully written and well-articulated yaa.. stayed glued till the last lines.. great storryteller you are

11. Lovely blog. Kahani mein wakai accha twist hai 😉

12. Priyal says:

That’s truly a different twist in this prompt , love the way you have written this blog post

13. eshachaks says:

How imaginative…. I am going to tell this to my son… Lovely lovely

14. jameela says:

What an imagination n narration of ddstory👍loved every bit of it🤗 u r a great story teller I must say.. poor Ann n myth until Wen will tey dwell in this world searching for their home…

15. Snehal Sham says:

Cute…i will definitely think that Myth and Ann have turned the pages of my book and also tell my daughter the same..she is an avid reader…Heart winning story..

16. Prerna Wahi says:

Your post was surely worth the wait Maya. Very well written and loved your take on the prompt. Will be more careful next time I leave my books open!!!

17. That was a beautiful story.. .my grandfather used to say. That if u leave a book open while reading and go away.. The vidya from that book goes away and nothing enters your brain.. . Your story reminded me of that

18. praggattirao says:

Hey maya that was a really creative twist on the prompt. Loved every bit of the narration

1. Maya Bhat says:

19. I think this is the best fiction take on the prompts i have read so far! Absolutely brilliant. My daughter is also a reader and i will definitely show this one to her, the characters coming out of the book and never being able to return will surely excite her. Wonderfully crafted.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Please do show her. I am really happy that you liked it ☺️❤️

20. Aakriti says:

You are definitely a great story teller who has an extraordinary imagination and crisp narration. Loved the post.

21. Varsh says:

I hadn’t interpreted this prompt in this way at all! Beautiful narration, Maya. I loved how simply you connected it to the fact that book pages turn when left unattended. In today’s world of ebooks Ann and Myth, poor souls, might have to wait forever for another Miranda and their magic page!

1. Maya Bhat says:

They are lost forever it seems 😀

22. Dr. Surbhi Prapanna says:

Wow such a beautiful narration and I loved the way you had set the whole plot. it seems you are a great story teller and I felt that I am listening a beautiful story while reading your post. one more thing, I think it is one of the best response to prompt. whole story completely justice the picture prompt. #Vdayblogtrain

1. Maya Bhat says:

Thanks a lot. I am happy that you liked the story. And these words mean a lot ☺️❤️

23. What a vivid imagination, Maya! I was totally engrossed in your story and started feeling for Ann and Myth and wanted for them to enter the book somehow. Loved the end! Now, I will keep a track if the pages of the book I leave open turn or not by themselves. Kudos for this story!

Thanks a ton ☺️❤️

24. it’s a beautiful story!!! loved the prompt!!!

25. MeenalSonal says:

What a gripping story! Now I know to keep my book open for Ann & Myth to wander in their search, hope they don’t get trapped in my books ..haha

Cheers
    MeenalSonal

Hopefully they won’t. Beware of wandering souls 😂

26. this story gave me goosebumps, do really pages don’t flutter because of wind? such a twist… loved the gripping story.

Ha ha it’s because of wandering souls. Beware 😂

27. Hey…a little spooky but very enticing..u have a great sense of imagination…I felt for a small sec of time that it’s like Harry Potter…lovely work of words!!

Thanks Vani ☺️❤️

28. alpanadeo says:

Maya, do you know what have you done? You just took me with you on a nice and a gripping tale ride. You are a great story teller. From now on, I am going to think of Ann and Myth Everytime I will open a book.
    #vdayblogtrain

☺️❤️ thanks a lot.

29. uuuf! what a thought. I was dumbstruck by the ending note. What if it were really true? Then I would have character souls roaming around my house and in dozens. They might be having an exile party also…haha!

1. Maya Bhat says:

Ya there you go ! We never know what and all are roaming around us 😁

30. ohh wow… a different level … even my nani used to tell me nor to leave books open… she told me Saraswati devi will fly away… but your imagination is superb. … this freshened the mood

Thanks a lot ☺️❤️

31. Wow, your imagination’s superb! I am going to be thinking about Ann and Myth the next time my book’s pages turn on their own…

Ha ha cool 😀❤️

32. Ramya says:

Wow!what a story maya! Very interesting take on the image prompt . Loved your imagination.

33. Now every time pages of my book flip, I would remember the story. Gripping plot, Maya. I enjoyed reading it

34. Want to meet these souls…Ann n Myth.Lovely imaginations and I have also attempted this prompt so great to read yours.

35. That was such an innovative response to this picture prompt! A very creative post, which I enjoyed reading.
    #VDayBlogTrain

36. Disha says:

A beautiful narrative and storytelling. Maybe I get to meet Ann and Myth someday while reading a book:)

Ya, you never know 😀❤️

37. ritwika16 says:

Wow! Loved your imagination. Nicely penned.

38. Shalini says:

Wow, that is quite an imagination! Was gripoing and also a little spooky!

1. Maya Bhat says:

Ha ha thank you so much 🙂❤️

39. Lovely Maya. I’ll remember that next time…Ann n Myth 😘😜

1. Maya Bhat says:

😂 yes. Do spread the tale

40. Wow. Interesting one dear.Great to read…!!!

41. shivanisalil says:

Very imaginative. Very different and refreshing.
    Do work on the grammar. You would not want it to come in the way of such a beautiful story.
    I loved it

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yes i will surely work on the grammar part. I didn’t want to want to miss the blog train, hence finished the uploading part in a hurry. Thank you so much for pointing out.

42. Ann and Myth lovely imagination.tale..loved it to the core.. Well written dear

Thanks a lot Gunjain ☺️