Let’s Explore Kanhangad, a beautiful town in Kerala

Kerala is one such state in India that is adored by the entire world. I have always been a proud Keralite when people from other parts of the world ask me “Which place of India are you from?”

When I got to know about the #Xplorebharat blogging initiative organized by 11 fellow bloggers, I was so excited. This is a blog train where many talented bloggers write about different places in India. Each blog post is considered as a stop. Our train started at Wagha Border in Punjab, moved to the Capital City of Delhi and now we are going straight down to the South to a tiny place called Kanhangad in the state of Kerala.

Kasaragod

Out of 14 districts, Kasaragod is the last and most neglected district of Kerala. It is located in the northern corner of the state. Kasaragod share borders with Mangalore (Mangaluru), the Gateway of Karnataka, in the village of Thalappady.

The Kanhangad town

Kanhangad is known as the Commercial hub of Kasaragod district. It is located about 30 km from the district headquarters (i.e Kasaragod town). Kanhangad is a historic place with rich culture. It is a land of temples, churches and mosques. People from different backgrounds live with utmost peace and harmony in this beautiful town.

Languages

Malayalam is the main language spoken here. Apart from that you will  get to see people speaking Kannada, Konkani (that’s my language) and Tulu.

Because of the growing immigrants from Bangladesh, a kind of Bengali mixed Hindi speaking people can also be seen in the town.

Nityananda Ashram

Nithyananda Ashram is a Cave temple situated on a hillock in Kanhangad. It was founded by Swamy Nithyananda who came to Kanhangad in the early 20th Century. He built 44 caves on the mountain slope for meditation. He was a great Yogi with divine powers. It is believed that he performed his first penance in a forest which is about 5km from Nithyananda Ashram. The forest was later named as Guruvanam. Some people believe him to be an incarnation of Lord Hanuman. They say, he used to jump from the ashram to Guruvanam in one go.

A full-size statue of Swami Nityananda in sitting posture made of panchaloha is one of the attractions of the ashramam. The caves are opened for visitors on particular hours of the day. I always loved to walk inside those caves. There is a Nithyananda temple built above the open terrace of the caves.

Nithyananda Ashram is at walkable distance from my home, hence we used to go there very often when I was a kid. The place is full of positive vibes. Few hours spent around this place surely calms our body and mind.

Guruvanam

Guruvanam is the forest where Swami Nithyananda used to do his Sadhana (Meditation). There is a Nithyananda Swami temple in Guruvanam too. This place gives an experience of a beautiful landscape. Guruvanam is owned by Nityanandashram, Kanhangad.

Anandashram

As the name suggests, Anadashram is an Abode of Bliss. It is a spiritually blessed place. Swami Ramdas is the founder of Anadashram. People of any religion, caste, colour or gender can enter the ashram. There is no discrimination on any basis, it works on pure love and service to mankind. The main highlight of Anadashram is the ‘free food’ service they offer to every one staying in the Ashram as well to the daily visitors.

The spiritual chanting ‘Om Shree Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram’ could be heard in the Ashram throughout the day. However, visitors are under no compulsion to join them. The chanting is done continuosly from 6am to 6pm everyday.

The Ashram have their own Goshala. The milk so obtained is used in the Kitchen of Ashram Canteen. They also have a library with spiritual books in various languages. It is a vast place where you can spend a whole day without any worries. They also have free accommodation facilities for a limited period.

Bekal Fort

Remember the song, ‘uyire’ (Tamil)/ ‘Tu hi re’ (Hindi) from the movie Bombay?

Yes, you guessed it right. This was the place.

About 15 km in the outskirts of Kanhangad, we have the largest fort in Kerala. Bekal fort was built in 1650 AD over 40 acres of land. It was an important military station for Tipu Sultan when he led a military expedition to capture Malabar.

The Hanuman temple and an ancient  Mosque near Bekal fort glorify the religious harmony of the place.

When someone visits Kanhangad for the first time, we Kanhandians are always excited to take them to Bekal Fort and Beach. We are so proud of this fort. If you leave Kanhangad, without visiting Bekal, then your whole trip is considered as a waste. Bekal fort will gift you an amazing experience to treasure for a lifetime.

www.mayabhat.com
A photo captured in 2014

Bekal Beach Park

Just near to Bekal fort we have a beautiful park equally designed for children and adults. It’s a fun place. This sea side park promise a great family time in the weekends.

There are lot more places and stories related to Kanhangad. But I do not wish to drag this post. I will tell you the pending stories some other day 🤗. Also I have not used much photos in this post to avoid copyright issues. I will be updating this content on a later date with latest original photos of respective places.

“Today the #XploreBharat Blog Train has come to Kanhangad on Snapshot from the previous destination Delhi. The next stop of this #XploreBharat Blog Train is Dhwarka, Gujarat on Bloggers Diary.”

Till then, enjoy your stay in Kanhangad 🤗

This post is a part of the #XploreBharat Blog Train hosted by

Aditi, Esha, Maheshwaran, PraGun,
 Preeti, Saba, Sanjota, Sonia,
Sudip,Suhasini, Supriya

And a big shout out to our sponsors for taking this Blog Train experience even further.

FABZANIA

FabZania is an upcoming Food, Travel, Entertainment and Lifestyle web portal.

Fabzania mjothi

KAIV

KAIV is a personal grooming accessory and appliances brand offering a wide range of world-class products.

Sharing is caring ☺️

Comments

1. You write things with so much easy and why not when you have to write about your hometown and that too when its so beautiful loved it

2. […] the incredible state of India in Pink city Jaipur Rajasthan, We even traveled to South India to see Kanhangad in The God’s own Country Kerala and Enchanting Tamilnadu at Ooty, and yesterday we went to […]

3. I love places which have been untouched by the chaos of city; where one can be with nature. I am sure Kanhangad is one such place. I had visited Kerala few years back with my parents but unfortunately we were unaware of this place. However, we wanted to visit the God’s Own Country with my children in near future. Your post has compelled me to put this beautiful place in my ‘Bucket list’ and I thank you for that. Lovely post.
    #readbypreetispanorama

4. […] After the cold North, as Maya welcomed us to her serene hometown Kanhangad, we were thankful for the… […]

5. Prerna Wahi says:

I have never heard of this town and I am so glad I hopped on this blog train and am reading about such lovely places. You have written a beautiful and heartfelt piece that truly brings out how special this place is for you. Hope to visit it someday.

6. I have never been to God’s own country, but it’s long on my list. Hope to make it soon, Maya as I have read so many people tell only wonderful things about it. Your post is another indication that I should visit it.

Definitely you should ☺️

7. Saba ladha says:

It’s a beautiful post that let us explore the beauty and diversity of kanhagad. Loved the way you penned it down.

8. bloggeray says:

Wonderful post. Many of my friends have made trips to Kerala but I’ve never heard of this place. Thanks for this very informative post.

1. Maya Bhat says:

This place is getting development day by day. In future it will surely be a popular tourist destination ☺️.

1. bloggeray says:

Amen to that!

9. I am already in love with God’s own country and its mesmerising beauty, however this was a new information and destination for me, loved your description Maya.

10. jayanthi6 says:

Lovely to read about Kanhagad through your post, Maya – you have really tempted me to visit Bekal quickly! 🙂

11. Thank you for shining the spotlight on a town that very few people know of. That Kanhangad is dear to you, is very evident through your post, Maya. Hope to visit this beautiful plave someday.

12. […] a lot, Maya for passing the #XploreBharat Blog Train baton to me, to take it further. The train that started at […]

13. I have heard about Kasargodu. Earlier it was part of Karnataka, then it was taken into Kerala. As you said, it is the most neglected and people are really suffering. Recently there was a Kannada movie made on Kasaragodu High school. From your post I came to know about other places too! Thanks for being part of #Xplorebharat and introducing us to beautiful insights of Kanhangad district.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Sarkari Hiriya Prathamika Shale Kasaragodu. This movie right? it was in my wish list but later forgot the name. You reminded me, thank you. And just correcting you, Kanhangad is not a district, its a taluk in Kasaragod district

14. Sudip Saha says:

Thanks for the detailed post. Would love to visit this place someday.

You are always welcome 🙂

15. Anonymous says:

Well done Maya..✌ you have introduced our small town to the Nation💪

16. writenlive says:

This is such a lovely and detailed post of your home town. I felt as if I were on a guided tour. I really enjoyed the references to all the religious places and especially the caves. You are so fortunate to have been within walking distance to the ashrams.

The fort and the beach looks beautiful. I am sure it got more attention from the locals and tourists ever since it featured in a movie.

Waiting to read more 🙂

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yes, those were sunday outings for us. Just going there and enjoying some fresh air. Fort and beach is even more beautiful now without all gardens grown. It’s all green now. That is a 5 year old pic.

17. Seema Taneja says:

Lovely post! I have been to Kerala but visited only Trivendrum, Kovalam and Kanyakumari. Your narration is tempting me to plan another trip soon.

See you soon then 😁💕💕

18. Anoop M says:

Bekal fort …The largest fort in kerala….Unknown fact..

Yes it is. 😁

19. Wow… that’s an accurate representation of our home town.. good job… keep going..

Thanks Akshay ☺️🙏

20. mylittleduniya says:

Loved this post a lot…. Keep it up Maya. You took me to the real Kerala which is not just the crowd. Loved it.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yes these kind of places get lost in the crowd many times. Do visit if yiu you get a chance ☺️👍

21. Anonymous says:

Wooww beautiful Post Mayakka ❤️❤️😍

22. Anonymous says:

Im proud of my birth place.If there’s an heaven on earth its this.My KANHANGAD .Proyd to b a kanhangadian.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yes, Kanhangad is not just a town, it’s an emotion 💕. Do share the post with all Kanhandians you know

23. Beautiful post , you wrote it so beautifully that I couldn’t stop myself from reading the whole post, the people outside of Kerala have very limited knowledge about Kerala’s tourist spots, thanks for telling us about this beautiful place , 🙂

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yes, there are always some hidden treasures in every state that no one notices. Kanhangad is one such place ☺️

24. jaya1966 says:

An excellent and detailed post. I visited Kanhangad quiet a few years ago. I remember the Bekal fort clearly. Your article jogged my memory about the other places I went to during my visit.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Do visit again. I last visited bekal in 2014. The place has really changed a lot afterwards. This time when I go home, I should a bekal trip ☺️.

25. My Kerala trips were Thekkady, Munnar and wayanard. Had I known about kanhangad I wouldn’t have missed this heritage place . The post is so informative that I am going to bookmark it and use it for our next trip.

1. Maya Bhat says:

You should surely plan a trip to Kanhangad and Bekal. These are some neglected gems of the state. Lately, the place is improving like anything to welcome tourists. I hope, when you come you get to see the best of Kanhangad

26. I’ve never been to kerala and didn’t know about this place as most people travel to know destinations. So when I travel to Kerala, I will try to visit Kanhangad and explore it’s beauty. A lovely post, Maya.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Kanhangad and Bekal are neglected gems of the state. Lately the place is developing on a faster pace to welcome tourists. I am sure, by the time you plan a trip, you will get to know the best of Kanhangad 🙂.

27. I have been to Bekal Fort during my visit to Kerala and it reminded me of Fort Aguda in Goa. Very well researched and equally well written. Thanks for being a part of this train.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Bekal fort is no more the same. A huge bunch of improvements have been made now. In some years it will be the best tourist destination of the state. Do visit again with family 🙂

28. The beauty of this blog train lies in posts like this one. Kerela is such a small state in area yet its culture and heritage is as rich as any other state. You have written so much about this little district that I almost felt like I was present there. Thanks for such a lovely post.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Thanks a lot. Do consider this small place while planning a trip in future 🙂 ❤️

29. mjothi says:

Maya, wonderful information. I was looking to visit Bekal, ever since I watched the Bombay movie. Your post makes me guilty that I have not done it yet.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Bekal has changed a lot compared to what is shown in the movie. Whenever you visit bekal in future, you will get to see the best part of it. 🙂

30. Jenifer says:

Wow, Glad to know about this place & hometown . I wish to visit South soon.

Welcome to South 🙂❤️

31. Soumya says:

Beautiful post Maya❤️❤️

1. Maya Bhat says:

Yet missed so many things. Kanhangad has a lot more than this right? Slowly I will add to this list 🙂

1. Soumya says:

Yes can write about our temple, and kadappuram in hosdurg . Since padnakkad also comes ,about thooku palam. That’s all I think.

32. eshachaks says:

What a beautiful post… Thank you for bringing kanhangad to us…. There are so many unexplored places in thia country…

Yes, Our country is really huge 🙂

33. Anonymous says:

This is just Wowwwww ❤️

🤗 Thank you so much

34. aditi says:

I know a little about the south cities of southern India. Your post is tempting me to pack my bags to visit the beautiful places down south:)

35. aditi says:

I know a little about south cities of our country. Your post is prompting me to pack my bags for the wonderful places down south:)

You are most welcome. Do plan a trip to Kerala 🤗

36. Anonymous says:

Lovely post! I had no idea about Swami Nithyananda being considered an avatar of Hanuman! And Bekal fort has been on my “to travel” list for a long time now. Thank you for this virtual tour of Kanhangad 😃

1. Anonymous says:

Hi…just to let uou know that the above comment is by Vijayalakshmi Harish. For some reason, not able to login to my social media accounts from here to post the comment. Hence it’s appearing as anonymous.

1. Maya Bhat says:

Thank you ☺️. And yes I have heard elderly people of the town say that he was in incarnation of Hanuman. Don’t know.

What do you think?